Friday, September 11, 2015

My Favorite JF/MG books

Since I edit JF/MG books, I thought it might be helpful to share my favorites growing up, which sets (some of) my standards for my slush pile. Of course, I don't hold all my submissions to these--I haven't run into another Roald Dahl yet.
I have also included JF and/or MG books I still pull off the shelf to read, or discovered years later.

"Growing up" notes books I read by the time I finished seventh grade. As far as I can remember, anyway. (Goodreads is a gem for remembering everything I've read!)


JF:
Growing up: Goosebumps, Amber Brown, Ramona, The Silver Crown, James and the Giant Peach, A Wrinkle in Time, Stuart Little, The Trumpet of the Swan, Peter Pan, Charlotte's Web, The Mouse and the Motorcycle, Frindle
Now: Matilda, Ramona, A Wrinkle in Time, Peter Pan


MG:
Growing up: Where the Red Fern Grows, Harry Potter (Books 1-3 are MG), The Giver, The Narnia Chronicles, the Artemis Fowl series, The Borrowers, The Gammage Cup, The Warriors series, The Shadow Children series, Inkheart
Now: Percy Jackson, Harry Potter books 1-3, The Giver, Holes, The Narnia Chronicles, Coraline, Fablehaven


I also tended to read a lot of YA growing up, so here's that as well:

YA:
Growing up: Animorphs, Harry Potter (books 4-7), Ella Enchanted (and just about anything by Gail Carson Levine), The Shakespeare Stealer, Eragon, Heir Apparent, Dragon's Bait, A Series of Unfortunate Events, Ender's Game, Fever 1793, The Thief, Running Out of Time, Just Ella


Technically classics/older fiction but I read them growing up:
Edgar Allen Poe
White Fang
The Sword in the Stone
The Chronicles of Prydain
A Tale of Two Cities
Great Expectations
Tons of Greek mythology, including a prose retelling of the Odyssey called Ulysses (but not that Ulysses)
The Princess Bride
Shakespeare





No comments:

Post a Comment